Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Wind Turbines, Costa Coffee & Imbesullens (an update from Yours Truly)

Well hello there!

Yeah yeah, I know it's been a while, and I'm super sorry about that. Second year is a lot more hectic than first year...which sounds like I'm pointing out the obvious, but I really didn't realise exactly how bad my schedule was going to be at the beginning of the year. And alas, I haven't had much time to keep you guys in the loop.

So first thing's first: design project. As I'm sure I've mentioned in a previous post (aha - here we go!), our group project was to design and manufacture a wind turbine out of a 1.0m x 0.5m x 0.7mm thick crappy aluminium sheet. Well, last week we finally had a finished prototype and got to see it in action during the performance test:
Our baby in the wind tunnel!
Although the braking system didn't work (we're still baffled as to why since it worked in the practice test), I was a proud mama watching as it generated 10.4W of power at wind speeds of 15m/s. If you consider the fact that the other groups that day got 8mW, 0.45W, 9.7W and 10.6W, we didn't do too shabbily. Still, damn that group that pipped us!

Now all the rest of the groups have been. Out of 24 groups we generated the second highest power at 15m/s (again, damn that group that pipped us!), and only four groups managed to get their braking system to work (and two of those were manually done). To those four groups, I say bravo.

Tomorrow is the final loading test, where a 10kg load will be applied to our structures in the direction of the wind. Fingers crossed our structure won't be one of many to buckle. Our simulations and calculations say that it'll withstand the load, but you just never know.

Speaking of Engineering, guess who's secretary of the Engineering Society nowwww? Yeah, I got back to my room after being voted into the committee and thought, "Shit, what have I done?" I ALWAYS do this to myself! When I feel like I've got a lot on my plate, what do I do? Add more to it! Yeah, like there's any logic in that! But what's done is done now, and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm also directing a short play that I've written for Friday's Proteus, and it's the first time I'm directing, and then I've also got my lab report and design portfolio due on the Friday as well...gahhh! Why do I do this to myselffff?!

And to top it all off, I've got a terrible case of Lazyitis! I'm procrastinating like never before. I've watched a good number of the films that I've been wanting to see for ages: Limitless (I want that drug!), Rise of the Guardians (I want Jack Frost!...without the cold), Good Will Hunting (I want his brain! (no zombie-ness intended)), Frozen (I want...yeah, nothing from that film...maybe the ability to sing...).

But guys! His mischievous, fun, yet caring personality just ironically warms my heart!
Does it help that I found that attractive before I considered he's actually quite a good-looking animated character?

And then I've made my life even worse by finding these ridiculous YouTube videos that fans of Rise of the Guardians have put up:

video
Comedian Brian Regan - Stupid at School

video
Comedian Brian Regan - Loitering and Manslaughter

Comedian Dane Cook - Speak & Spell and Simon

It might just be me who's nearly crying with laughter, sorry I'm not sorry. They're helping me cope with life! MOOSEN!!!!

And then I also found the Reid Oliver Cartoons (remember I'm lamely in love with the character Dr Reid Oliver from As The World Turns even 4 years after the show was cancelled?) made by a girl in Manchester - not too far away from my home! Ahh, those have had me chuckling too!

I think I might've lost the plot...though my mum and my friends say that I never had it.

Eight days ago, a man shouted at me as he drove past in his car, "You're gonna die in seven days!". I don't care if I just drop dead now; at least I'll be able to come back as a ghost, find him, and rub it in his face that he was about 24 hours out. True story.

I'm sorry, I'm going a little off topic with this post. But then again, this is an update, so I guess I can write whatever the hell I want. Sorry.

Can you tell I've had a lot of caffeine? I've been going coffee crazy lately so that I can meet all my deadlines, but it was today in Costa when I really got a caffeine hit. I've never been in Costa before until today. I've been stuck in the Library basement all day every day for so long that I just hate the Library, so one of my housemates suggested meeting her at Costa to get work done - at least I'd be able to eat and drink coffee openly there. After three hours and two cups of coffee I'd gotten a fair bit done and I decided to go back to the house when all of a sudden...WHAM! All of a sudden my pulse was racing and I wasn't quite myself. It was kind of how I'd expect to feel if I was on drugs; it was weird. I must've looked a complete and utter idiot walking back to the house:

Naughty naughty Costa coffee...
     
That's probably the last time I'm having Costa coffee.

Oh yeah! I've also dyed my hair purple! I felt like a change, so change happened. It's quite subtle. In fact, I haven't managed to take a picture where you can actually tell that it's purple yet.

Attempt #1
Attempt #63

Trust me, it's purple. I should know.






So yeah, that's pretty much my life so far. I might be able to post a bit more after Friday since I will have finished my second semester! Although I will be powering on with my internship at Vulcan To The Sky Trust, so maybe not. That's going pretty well, and now that it's nearing the summer air shows it's gonna be a lot busier; I can't wait to get stuck in! University has been taking over, but as long as I keep time for revision I'm sure I'll be able to juggle the both of them during these hols. Unfortunately it means I'm not going to be home much, which sucks since I really miss my family, but they understand, and my mum especially is 100% behind me on this. Yeah, my mum's pretty darn amazing. She's getting so spoiled this Mother's Day!

Anyway, I think that's all from me. I'm going to get on with some of my lab report now: Twin Rotor MIMO Systems. Interesting, but complex and often confusing.

What have you been up to lately? Let me know in the comments section or something. Oh, and keep smiling!


Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment