Thursday, 6 March 2014

A Change of Lent

In Britain, Lent is a big deal that the majority of people - Christian or otherwise - still do before Easter. I don't know if other countries do Lent (I only just found out today that a lot of Christian countries don't), but for us it's still very much a tradition.

For years I have given up indulgences such as chocolate and alcohol for Lent, but this year I wanted a new challenge. So I was going to give up forks and spoons and use chopsticks instead.

I know, I'm crazy.

Then a friend told me that that was dumb and suggested that I give up hugs instead (I am very much a hugger). But then I felt like I was offending other friends by denying them hugs, and it's pretty darn awkward just shaking hands with them!

Which is when one genius friend told me today that instead of losing something for Lent, he tries to gain something from it instead, and every day of Lent he will try something new.

So that's it. From now on, every Lent I am going to try to learn - or start to learn - something new. And this year it's going to be my British Sign Language Level 1. I started learning BSL Level 1 back in Sixth Form until my teacher had to leave, so this will make sure that all those lunch times don't go to waste. I've signed up for the BSL online course, and considering it's costing me £19.99, it will give me that extra motivation to stick to it.

I haven't properly looked at how much content Level 1 covers, but for now I'm going to either be realistic or really unrealistic when I say that I hope to have covered two of the three modules by the end of Lent. Wish me luck!

Do you guys do Lent? What are you giving up this year? Or are you doing things a little differently too?

Keep smiling!


Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment